Explore the worlds most famous stone age super-structure and the gloriously gothic Salisbury Cathedral (home to a surviving Magna Carta) on my private Stonehenge tour from London.
Winchester Day Trip
Private Taxi Tour | 8-Hours or 10-Hours | £520 - £660 + Tickets
If your preferred tour date is unavailable Click Here for similar tours by trusted partners.
- Winchester Day Trip
- 8-Hour Tour Maximum 6 people
- Private Cab Total Price
- Winchester + Jane Austen's House
- 10-Hour Tour Maximum 6 people
- Private Cab Total Price
- A 6% booking fee will be added. This ensures the security of all transactions. My prices are still competitive.
Private day trip to historic Winchester from London: Alfred the Great…to Jane Austen.
I’m a London tour guide, born and bred but I love my English scenery and history too. I enjoy providing commentary and historic anecdotes about all my tour destinations. On this day trip out of London we’re going to visit one of the most ancient and historic of English city’s. Time can be added to the tour to include Jane Austen’s House in Chawton.
Winchester is a small city with big old England charm. I’m a born and bred London tour guide and I do love my city. But I also love English history wherever it’s found. And there is a lot of history in Winchester. We immerse ourselves in its heritage, superb old buildings and fascinating historic characters; Winchester also happens to be away from the big tourist spots and that’s also why I like it.
My guided walk through the city encompasses Roman occupation, King Alfred the Great, 900-year-old Winchester Cathedral, Jane Austen, a royal citadel, Henry VIII, a little bit of King Arthur and a stroll along the city’s scenic River Itchen and back streets.
The small stories fascinate in Winchester too; an Anglo-Saxon nunnery, the Black Death, a disastrous 16th century royal wedding, medieval Jewish life and death, and how one man saved the Cathedral from sinking into the ground.
Jane Austen’s House, Chawton: The house where Jane Austen died in Winchester is a part of my walk through the city. The extended tour includes the Chawton cottage where Jane Austen lived and wrote for the last ten years of her life. This museum is open June – September and on selected days October – May.
If you’d like a memorable experience, steeped in real English history and away from the big crowds this beautiful and historic day trip from London could be the tour for you.
Winchester Itinerary (8-Hour tour):
- 08.30: Meet at your hotel/accommodation and drive to Winchester
- 10.30: Arrive Winchester
- 15.30: Leave Winchester
- 17.30: Return to London hotel
Winchester + Chawton Itinerary (10-Hour tour):
- 08.00: Meet at your hotel/accommodation and drive to Winchester
- 10.00: Arrive Winchester
- 14.30: Arrive Jane Austen’s House (approx – tickets are timed)
- 18.00: Return to London hotel
Note: Light lunch tends to be in Winchester.
I’m your driver and private guide and I’ll be explaining as we explore. Walking is integral to this tour. There are lots of stops for photo opps. I’ll talk as we walk and when we’re up close. Time spent viewing a location varies from one or two minutes to a few minutes.
Having a driver/walking guide like me conducting your tour in a London taxi is super-efficient and will help to make the day enjoyable and memorable.
We’re always close to coffee shops and places for bathroom breaks and our lunch location can be decided as we tour.
TICKETS: Price does not include admission to Winchester Cathedral or Great Hall. Tickets are purchased on arrival. Tickets for Jane Austen’s House must be purchased in advance (ask Graham).
- We drive, we walk, we eat, we drink (lunch not included in price).
- Door-2-Door service: pickup and drop-off anywhere in central London (extra charge may apply if different).
- Graham (that’s me) is your guide and driver providing commentary throughout the tour.
- Many stops for photo opps and quite a lot of walking.
- Bottled water. Child seats/boosters not provided.
- Wheelchair friendly (including ramps). Winchester fine. Jane Austen’s House is not wheelchair accessible.
- Mercedes Vito London Taxi – comfortable, partitioned, air con (see photos).
- London taxis have a transparent perspex partition between driver guide and passengers.
- Intercom allows 2-way conversation and commentary.
- Walking parts of all tours are done as safely as possible.
- Hand sanitizer available.
- Taxi sanitized before every tour.
Combine any two of the following tours to create an overnight/2-day trip:
- Stonehenge + Magna Carta
- Oxford Day Trip
- Winchester Day Trip
- Mystical England Day Trip
- Oxford + Stratford-upon-Avon Tour
- Bath + Lacock Village Tour
- Cotswolds Day Trip
Starting and ending in London from your hotel/accommodation (Mon – Fri).
Hotel accommodation not included in tour price.
Graham will recommend hotel location, which depends on the tour combination selected.
Enquire before booking tours.
Click on Trip Advisor logo to read Graham’s five-star reviews.
- Tours from 3-hours to full-day.
- All tours are private tours.
- Door-2-Door: pickup and drop-off.
- Vehicle seats up to six in comfort.