Explore ancient villages, age-old churches, gorgeous countryside and quaint old pubs on my private English countryside tour to the Chiltern Hills, just a short drive from London.
Mystical England Day Trip
Private Tour | 11 Hours | £660
If your preferred tour date is unavailable Click Here for similar tours by trusted partners.
- 11-Hour Tour Maximum 4 people
- Private Cab Total Price
- A 6% booking fee will be added. This ensures the security of all transactions. My prices are still competitive.
Explore ‘Mystical England’ on this inspiring private day tour from London.
As a London born and bred tour guide I do love my city. But I love my English scenery and history too. I enjoy providing commentary and historic anecdotes about all my tour destinations. On this fascinating day trip we visit some unforgettable and mysterious stone age and iron age locations.
White Horse of Uffington, Dragon Hill and Uffington Castle: the 360ft White Horse could be from 2500 to 3400 years old. Of the many white horses cut into the chalk hills of England this is the oldest and strangest in form and design. Is it a boundary mark or does it represent a Celtic goddess? Also aligned with the midwinter sun, perhaps it’s a carrier symbolising the change from dark to lighter nights. Note: it is rarely possible to see the entire White Horse, except from the air.
Flat-topped Dragon Hill is where St George allegedly slayed the dragon (it isn’t and he didn’t!). The Castle is a large mound and ditch, the remains of a 2700 year old hillfort. Its life lasted into Roman and Saxon periods. Significantly the Castle, White Horse and Wayland’s Smithy are near The Ridgeway, an ancient track that once connected the south west to the east of England.
Wayland’s Smithy: is a late stone-age long barrow (communal burial chamber) as old as Stonehenge. The Saxon’s named it after a vengeful Norse god but what did its original builders call it? We’ll never know. Modern pagans have revived its use for ceremonies, according to a peculiar old man I met there. As I turned to ask him one final question he was nowhere to be seen.
Avebury, Silbury Hill and West Kennet Long Barrow: Avebury village sits within a giant stone-age henge and stone circle. Although huge this stone circle is far more basic than Stonehenge. But in Avebury we’re able to walk among and touch the stones. From the village we’ll walk through woods and fields to two ancient ritual sites: Silbury Hill is the largest prehistoric manmade ‘mound’ in Europe and close by is West Kennet Long Barrow, a stone-age burial chamber we can actually walk into.
Lunch is in Avebury at a thatched pub which dates from the late 1500s.
Note: We visit rural or remote locations. Terrain can be muddy or uneven in places. Appropriate footwear essential.
- 08.00: Meet at your hotel/accommodation
- White Horse of Uffington, Uffington Castle and Wayland’s Smithy
- Avebury, Silbury Hill, West Kennet Long Barrow
- 19.00: Arrive back at your hotel/accommodation
- Graham (that’s me) is your private guide and driver providing commentary throughout the tours.
- We drive, we walk, we eat, we drink (lunch not included in price).
- Door-2-Door service: pickup and drop-off anywhere in central London (extra charges may apply if different).
- Lots of stops for photo opps and a lot of walking.
- Bottled water.
- Mercedes Vito London Taxi – comfortable, partitioned, air con (see photos).
- Cancellation: 100% refund (then -48 hours pre-tour 50%).
- London taxis have a transparent perspex partition between driver guide and passengers.
- Intercom allows 2-way conversation and commentary.
- Walking parts of all tours are done as safely as possible.
- Hand sanitizer available.
Combine any two of the following tours to create an overnight/2-day trip:
- Stonehenge + Magna Carta
- Oxford Day Trip
- Winchester Day Trip
- Mystical England Day Trip
- Oxford + Stratford-upon-Avon Tour
- Bath + Lacock Village Tour
- Cotswolds Day Trip
Starting and ending in London from your hotel/accommodation (Mon – Fri).
Hotel accommodation not included in tour price.
Graham will recommend hotel location, which depends on the tour combination selected.
Enquire before booking tours.
Click on Trip Advisor logo to read Graham’s five-star reviews.
- Tours from 3-hours to full-day.
- All tours are private tours.
- Door-2-Door: pickup and drop-off.
- Vehicle seats up to six in comfort.